Eight years old today, eight years old today! So much better than boring old seven years old, and only two years away from getting apprenticed! Rhuhi tried to whistle her excitement to the world, but it turned out that being one year older did not mean she had gained the ability to whistle. Well, that was too bad but the day was still exciting! Three of her five older brothers were already apprenticed and she was counting down the years/months/days until she could be too.
"Mum, I'm going to the creek!" she shouted through the house, "Muum, I'm going to the creek!" where was her mum? Oh well, she'd figure it out. Rhuhi made a run for the back door and oh there was her mother!
"Rhuhi, do you really have to go to the creek now?" her mother asked, "It's two hours until the whole family is supposed to arrive for your birthday, I don't want you coming back all covered in burrs and mud when relatives arrive."
Rhuhi gave her mum a look that said I am eight years old now mum, and I need to go to the creek! Then she said, "I am eight years old now mum, and I need to go to the creek! I won't be gone very much too long! And I only get covered in burrs when those bushes get in my way, so it's not my fault!"
She hop-skipped past her mother and grabbed her favorite cloak off of the clothesline where it was mostly-pretty-much-dry, and made for the large patch of forest that stretched out behind their cottage.
"I'll be back before the party, really I will!" she called back to her mother and disappeared into the foliage.
No comments:
Post a Comment